As you know, my word of the year is Increase. When I think about the word Increase, I think about personal growth, getting better, being intentional and purposeful. I wanted to post a regular update of sorts of how I’m using my Word of the Year in a personal way. Sure, it’s easy to choose a word to claim over your year, but if you do nothing with it, it’s really just a word.
So that is what I’m going to do with my word, Increase, and I’m going to bring you along on this journey with me. Hopefully it will inspire you to do the same with the word you’ve chosen and your own New Year’s Resolutions & Goals. Apply it to your life in a personal way and make some positive changes.
So how am I striving to INCREASE this year and this week specifically?
(Personally, Professionally, & in my Family)
- I’m working to build worthwhile habits.
January’s habits were…
–Re-establishing the Habit of Working Out – I accomplished this.
–Establish the Habit of Reading Aloud to my Children – I wasn’t perfect at this, but we did make strides. We’ve come to enjoy it. They especially like it when we have a special snack or treat while we read like chocolate milk. 😉
–Establish the Habit of Daily Reading, Personally – I didn’t read every single day so I wouldn’t say that it’s a habit yet, but I did read one complete book and made some progress in a few others as well.
February’s habits are…
–No Added Sugars – I felt like this was the next step in my journey towards health. I have a major sweet tooth, and while I do eat clean “most” of the time, there are a few tweaks I needed to make such as cleaning up my coffee, eliminating the “flavored waters” I drink that contain all the Aspartame, and other things I have on occasion like ketchup, salad dressing, dairy products, etc. I know that sugar-addiction is a real thing, and I would just like to eliminate this for myself and my children, in time. While I know that there will be some days that I do consume sugars (such as my birthday), I’m just tracking and seeing how many days I can possibly do without.
-Being Playful – I am prioritizing doing fun things with my children in each and every day, even if it’s just joining them in what they are playing. I have a deep desire to just be present with them. I already do this, where I just soak up all the little laughs and try to memorize the details of their faces or how they form sentences and tell me stories. I can’t tell you how often I just watch and listen to them playing. It brings me so much joy! But I also want to do this in a way that is meaningful to them – where they know that Mom was not too busy to play with them and do fun things. I take this job of mothering very seriously, and I want to always be available to shepherd their hearts when they need it.
-Drink my water – I already mentioned that I’m eliminating added sugars. This means the aspartame that was in my Crystal Light- typed flavored waters that were my go-to beverage. It’s unfortunate, really, because I find that without flavor, I don’t drink fluids much at all and find myself really thirsty. I’ve used this as an excuse to keep purchasing and consuming the flavored varieties, even though I knew they weren’t the best option for me. So now I feel like I really need to track how much water I’m drinking so that I am just more mindful of it. So far, I’ve found that I like room-temperature bottled water the best.
- I want to GROW as a Christian and as a person in general.
-I am loving Priscilla Shirer’s study called Discerning the Voice of God. At a time in my life where I feel so conflicted on so many things, it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time.
-I also enjoyed watching Lisa Rippy’s videos of Financial Absolutes this week – It was full of practical advice of financial disciplines, but they were all from the Bible. I want to go back and watch her previous videos as well. She is a Facebook friend of mine that I’ve been following for some time now. I don’t remember who recommended her to me first, but I love what she’s doing with Interior Inspirations. She’s a very inspiring woman of God.
- Celebrate the wins & Focus on the Positive.
- I want to build my blog and expand to new territories of influence.
My blog is transitioning to Purposeful Planning soon. I’m also recognizing relationships outside of my blog, home, and church that I have opportunities just to minister to people and be who I am.
- GROW my Platform. I’ve been seeking God about what it is that He would have me share with my readers and my social media followers. There is a challenge this month on the topic of Self-Care, as well as a Facebook group to dive deeper into this topic with my readers.
- Work on and Build each relationship. To do this, I am studying the personality types and love languages of each of those in my immediate family. I am reading and thinking about how to create a life-giving home. I want to better understand, love, and serve those closest to me.
- Focus on hearts & character. These will be things we will focus on more in our home school and home-life in general. I will strive to be more like Jesus in my mothering and as a wife. Right now I am just focusing on being present with my family and children.So these are the ways that I am personally working towards INCREASE in my personal, professional, and family life. Now, go take your Word of the Year, and make a purposeful plan to bring about positive change in your own life. That’s what it’s all about!Ya’ll have a great week! Go make a plan to be purposeful!
Look for these posts this week from me in our Self-Care Challenge:
How to Care for Your Spiritual Well-Being
How to Care for Your Physical Health
Letting Go of Fear
Just Do It